Warning: This topic below is based on my opinion and I respect those of you who don't agree with my opinion. Differences are differences. Let's just leave it at that , in this case :)
Idealistic: characterized by idealism; unrealistically aiming for perfection
Being idealistic is something that , somehow, controversial at times.
From the definition above, we all know that idealism is a point of view where we want to see things positively.
Yes, an idealistic person would see every chances to get everything perfect.
A friend of mine once told me that in life, we have to be less idealistic and be more realistic. Why? Because we have to face a lot of things in life and eventually we will be forced to understand that life is harsh and we have to deal with it. Nothing is perfect, and we're supposed to fully accept it.
This friend of mine makes me wonder and think about this matter. I had sleepless nights just to think about it (nah, I'm kidding) but really.
The question is, is it right or wrong to be an idealist?It's been my principle in life, that everything is possible. Yes, every single thing. I also have this perspective "Even the most impossible thing in life can happen", if:
1. We work hard enough to make it happen
2. We deserve it
3. It's just meant to happen
As simple as that.
If you think that by being idealistic, I can face things more easily ( because of the positive thoughts) then you're wrong. Not totally wrong, because yes, sometimes it helps you to boost your spirit when you're being idealistic, but on the other hand, being idealistic can let you down as well.
Once again, why? Because idealistic people are aiming for perfection in any kinds of situation.
Your idealism level is tested when you're at the bottom, because super idealistic people would still have the guts to say "Yes, i think i can still make it as what i have planned".
But idealistic people are still human beings. They also feel down at times. Then guess what, they can still refuse to believe that a situation can possible hold them back from getting what they want.
In my point of view, I have my own advantages and disadvantages of being idealistic. Becoming more confident of myself is one of the advantages. I also tend to see things from positive point of view, because of that idealistic thingy that I have. But as for the disadvantages, I become a person who can easily be satisfied, and I sometimes refuse to accept reality.
So back to our question, be idealistic or not to be idealistic?
I say, it's back to yourself.
No one will blame you for how you see things from your own perspective.
Be independent, and do not let yourself down because of how you see things. Being idealistic or not being idealistic, it's your own choice.
If you're comfortable with it, then it's alright and you don't have to worry about it.
I consider myself as an idealist one, my friend also said that, and even my parents too.
ReplyDeleteI don't know, but for me, being an idealist is technically not trying to make everything perfect. It is one of the essence, but not the core one.
Like the dictionary meaning you've mentioned above
"characterized by idealism; unrealistically aiming for perfection"
The very main essence of an idealist is their idealism. They have their own point of view and value about every bits of thing in the world that can hardly changed.
For example, I have a strong idealism that an exam is just an evaluation for yourself instead of score-searching and there's no need to cheat in an exam because you cannot evaluate yourself if you do. Therefore, up until this moment I never had cheated and I never really care about the score, no matter how important the exam is.
Rather then perfectionist, I'd say that an idealist tend to be naive, saying that the perfect world is pretty much based on his/her idealism (either he/she just keep that in mind or try to influence people with his/her idealism)
Well, no matter what, I'm proud of being an idealist. It makes me can easily decide everything.
And luckily, I still can control myself because I have one idealism that can do so : The essence of Yin-Yang, black and white, balance. So despite there's something that's against my idealism , it doesn't really matter since it's just a part of this world.
Less than three :)
:) Thanks for the comment, Yasser.
ReplyDeleteYeah, I agree with you. Sometimes being idealistic is not always about being perfectionist. Sometimes we really do have our own point of view about things (a.k.a our idealism).
The thing you said about being naive, that's actually really me. I've been such a naive kid all these years and my friends have nagged at me a few times because of it, but I'm okay cuz it's just how I see things.
The essence of Yin-Yang might also have given influence to me. because basically differences are always there. If everyone in this world is idealistic, then where's the fun? :)
Hello Yasser, have we met before?
ReplyDeleteI agree with you, especially in Yin-Yang philosophy that every black has its own white. But, isn't that just make you into a real person?
And yeah, an idealist is not a perfectionist.