Pages

Saturday, April 21, 2012

Women's Emancipation, How do you dig it?

Happy Kartini's day, everyone!

"Who's Kartini?" you might ask, (would be surprising if you're Indonesian and you still don't know who she is). Now let me lead you to this fact first, before I talk about something more interesting :3

A long long time ago, approximately in the middle of 19th century, women in Indonesia were not allowed to attend schools. Only men were allowed. That time, Indonesia was colonized by Netherland, and for some reasons, women's degree was far lower than men at that time, and that's why, women were not able to get the same education as men were.

So Kartini, this brave young woman at that time, was the one who started the move of woman's emancipation.
She was born to the aristocracy, and she got the privilege to be able to attend Dutch colonial school. And so she became the first native woman allowed to learn to read and write in Dutch, not only because she was born in a rich family, but also because of her intelligence. Starting from that time, she kept fighting for women's right to have the same degree and rights as men, to make choices in any aspects of their lives. Long story short, Kartini had inspired so many women to make a change of  women's rights. (for complete story, you can read it  by clicking here)

Regardless of where we live and what our nationality is, I think it didn't only happen in Indonesia that women couldn't have the same rights as men did. Thankfully, today women have become as intelligent, important, and rightful as men.

Now how about social nature? Does it have anything to do with women's emancipation? I find it confusing yet fun to talk about (especially when I talk about this with men) regarding what  today's women have to do and not have to do.

We (as in women) want to get these rights, in the name of  "women's emancipation":
- Equal amount of salary
- Equal opportunities
- Equal... just everything women weren't used to have.

But then, men (well most of the men I discussed about this with) pointed out about these facts:
If, we want to cherish this woman's emancipation's issue,

".. then why do men still have to pay for the restaurant bills?"
".. then why do women not confess their feelings first to the men they love?"
".. then why do men still have to do those things that women call 'the things a man should do, just because he's a man' ?"

There are more of things that they pointed out (or indirectly complained about, actually XD ) but I think those are good representations of what men think about women's emancipation.

Somehow, men feel uneasy about this women's emancipation thingy, because of this idea:
"Women only want equal rights, but not equal responsibilities"

A friend of mine once said this "Why do girls only want the privileges, but they don't want to do what men do? like confessing to someone she likes, for example. It seems that girls only want the fun"

To answer that, read this phrase carefully -> "Girls just wanna have fun" lol jk.

In my opinion, women's emancipation doesn't mean 'women get to have everything and do everything as men do'. There's this thing called nature that should be kept, i.e wife's responsibility to take care of children and husband's responsibility to be the family's backbone. And so that explains why still, most women don't do love confessions (eventhough it's not forbidden to do the opposite). It's just as simple as nature.

But of course you have your own opinions about this, don't you?
Ladies and gentlemen, feel free to comment here below.

See you on my next post. Cheers!

2 comments:

  1. Kartini's story is inspirational~ o-o Sometimes I need to read stories like that so I stop being all negative about going to school XD
    "I wish I were one of my dogs so I wouldn't have to go to school T^T" <-- XDD I shouldnt have a right to say that in the morning since many women have fought for our right to be educated.

    ReplyDelete
  2. XD yeah... i think stories like that inspire us especially women to start move our lazy ass and study o3o cuz back then they didn't even have the right to be educated...

    ReplyDelete